Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Do the Right Thing

Driving down SE Stark this morning near Laurelhurst Park, I stopped to let a little old lady cross the street.

This is noteworthy because I tend to be somewhat oblivious to pedestrians who aren't standing in a crosswalk.
But this morning I wasn't in any particular hurry and I happened to notice the white-haired woman clutching a bag and gazing expectantly at the other side of the road.

As she smiled at me and inched across, I felt good ~ that unmistakable warm, fuzzy feeling that you can only get when you do the right thing for the right reason.

It made me think of business dealings and how important it is to do the right thing with people when you're starting or running your own business. Your store or company policies are a reflection of you are. They communicate your character to others, leaving your mark on the world.

There are corporations, and then there are corporate citizens. To be a corporate citizen, you have to stop to let little old ladies cross the street ~ or more specifically, your business dealings must be characterized by integrity and concern for people, for your community.

It's tempting to speed by and cut corners when the pressures build. It's easy to get distracted and let the little things slip through the cracks. But I believe that doing the right thing for people is part of doing the right thing for business, too.

No comments: