Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Mastery

I once received a fortune cookie message that read: "Success is a journey not a destination. Stop running."

Michael E. Gerber begins E-Myth Mastery: The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a World Class Company with a similar perspective.

To build a world class company, he says, you must turn yourself into a world class entrepreneur. And to be a world class entrepreneur, you must practice being an entrepreneur.
See yourself as a work in progress and make a commitment to practicing excellence. Extraordinary business growth won't happen without extraordinary personal growth, he insists.

Like reading his 1995 title The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It, this book sets me on fire.

I began reading Gerber's book yesterday. As often happens when I speak with other small business owners, I found myself relax a little with his message.

Well, maybe "relax" isn't the right word. I gave myself permission to slow down.

Success isn't a destination, and the path toward it is not a race. It's my journey to make, one step ~ and one lesson ~ at a time.

No comments: