Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Believe. Manifest. Let go.

Last week, I attended a networking event hosted by the Women Entrepreneurs of Oregon and held at The Clearing Café next to The DragonTree day spa on NW Thurman.

There I had the pleasure of meeting Briana Barton, owner of both the café and spa. She is a remarkably inspiring young woman. With a beautiful baby nestled against her chest and a flower in her hair, she radiated calm and poise. Graceful, open and smiling, she shared with me some her own stories about starting up her businesses.

Seeing her spa, The DragonTree, now flourishing at 4 ½ years old, it’s hard to imagine Briana’s anxiety and worry in the early days. The DragonTree is an oasis, a true retreat from urban grayness and stress. Fountains, plants, candles and a skylight bring all four elements of Earth, Air, Water and Fire into the surroundings. Moroccan chandeliers, bold fabrics and gold painted walls transport visitors to another place. The Sangha Room, where the foot treatments take place, evokes an Asian courtyard. Every detail of the spa shines with the touch of loving, deliberate care. It’s the work of a woman who believes passionately in what she does.

And yet, the first days and months of business were slow for The DragonTree: it took time for word to spread about the sanctuary Briana had created.

The night I met her, I leaned on Briana. She exuded a peacefulness and quiet strength that inspired my trust. I confided in her about my anxiety about my store taking longer to grow than I had expected and almost mentioned my worry that it might f**l.

Following our talk about the store’s mission and my passion for women to claim and enjoy their childbearing years, Briana visited Maternitique’s website. The next morning, she wrote me the following email:


I wish you all the best - I know that it will totally take off....just believe,
manifest, and let go.


Thank you, Briana. That was exactly what I needed to hear.


If you are struggling in the new days of a fledgling endeavor, I hope those words of wisdom calm you as much as they did me.

No comments: